Shihan Simon Keegan’s Grading Record:
Karate & Jujutsu
Karate and Jujutsu Shihan (headteacher)
Karate grade: 5th Dan since 2012.
Recognised by Japan’s oldest martial arts fraternity and hereditary Shogun.
- Graded on the mat by Shihan PAJ Handyside (8th Dan World Union of Karatedo Federations) under Shikon (18/12/2012).
- Recognised 5th Dan by Kokusai Budoin. Senior ranking Shotokan practitioner in UK branch of Kokusai Budoin.
- Chief director of Shotokan in Kokusai Budoin is Hirokazu Kanazawa (Meijin) who also taught Shihan Handyside.
- Simon’s Grading katas: Meikyo, Bassai Sho, Kanku Sho, Kanku Dai, Hangetsu
Jujutsu grade: 5th Dan (Renshi) since 2017
- Simon was awarded 5th Dan Jujutsu (five years after grading 5th Dan Karate on the mat, and 10 years after his previous Jujutsu grade) by the technical committee of Shikon, headed by Steve Rowe (8th Dan with Dan grades in Karate, Jujutsu, Iaido, Jodo)
- Renshi (polished teacher) is a shogo (teaching title) issued by traditional Japanese organisations such as Kokusai Budoin and Dai Nippon Butokukai. Renshi is awarded at least two years after 4th Dan. Date of Simon’s issue: 8/5/2010, date of 4th Dan 1/1/2007.
- Simon’s group was given the mandate to award shogo by the national head of Dai Nippon Butokukai
- Senior grade on panel that awarded Simon Renshi was Reiner Parsons Kyoshi
- 4th Dan Karate & Jujutsu recognised by WKA and WKF as founding member of English Karate Federation and British Jujutsu Federation
Previous Grade: 3rd Dan Nisseikai Karate , 3rd Dan Jujutsu/Judo
- Graded 3rd Dan on the mat by Reiner Parsons (7th Dan Kyoshi Goju Ryu Karate, 3rd Dan Nihon Jujutsu)
- Reiner had been awarded 5th Dan by Tadanori Nobetsu and 6th Dan by Ikuo Higuchi, headmaster of Shoto Ryu and senior student of Makoto Gima (Senior student of Gichin Funakoshi).
- Simon’s Grading katas: Seisan, Niseishi
- Also recognised 3rd Dan in Jujutsu/Judo by Kodokwan and European Ju Jitsu Union.
Previous Nihon Jujutsu Grade: 2nd Dan 2002
- Graded 2nd Dan on the mat under J Lee-Barron and G Scarrott
- Recognised as 2nd Dan Nihon Jujutsu upon entry to Kokusai Budoin in the division headed by Shizuya Sato 10th Dan
Previous Karate Grade: 2nd Dan
- Grades 2nd Dan on the mat under R Carruthers and A Wilshaw
- Recognised as 2nd Dan Shotokan Karate upon entry to Kokusai Budoin in the division headed by Hirokazu Kanazawa 10th Dan
- Simon’s grading katas: Bassai Dai and Empi
Previous Grade: 1st Dan (1999)
- Grades in Karate and Bushido (Jujutsu, Judo, Kobudo, Aikido)
- All grades from 8th Kyu-1st Dan taken on the mat under S Bullough
- Recognised by World Kickboxing Association
- 1st Dan Grading kata: Bassai Dai
3rd Dan Judo (Honourary) 2015 (Kodokwan, Aiichi)
2nd Dan Judo (Honourary) 2011 (Kodokwan, Aiichi)
1st Dan and Kyu grades (as above) Bushido 1999
Taiji Quan (Yang style Tai Chi)
Black sash 2nd Duan: 2011
Black sash 1st Duan: 2009
Brown sash 3 stripes: 2008
Brown sash 2 stripes: 2007
Brown sash: 2007
Purple sash: 2006 (awarded after 8 years study)
Manchester: Karate & Jujutsu
Circle Martial Arts
52 Newton Street, Manchester M1 1ED
Mondays: 8:30pm (first class October 17 2016)
Simon Keegan 5th Dan Renshi
Other posts held:
- Founder member of English Karate Federation
- Vice president of United Kingdom Budo Federation
- Vice president of British Jujutsu Federation
- Vice president of International Toshu Jutsu Federation
- Shikon and Shobukan member
- Former regional director Kokusai Budoin, Japan
- Former editor: Martial Arts Guardian
- Former editor: Mirror Fighting
Duke of Lancaster’s Own – (specialism: Urban warfare, counter terrorism)
- Served 1996-1998
- Cavalry Trooper 24930904